It seriously seems like it was yesterday that I was getting that nod like"uh huh yeah, you know all about what, whatever you are just too young to understand." Something happened one night as I slept because I woke up and became the person on the other side of that nod. It all started with my own medical issues and the doctors discussing with me a possibly hysterectomy. Even though I decided not to go that route and for an ablation instead (scheduled for this Monday) it is like psychologically my brain said girl you just jumped from being the young one to the Over the hill crowd. I swear I was sitting in church the other day and all of a sudden out of no where I felt like some one had turned the heat ALL the way up. I grabbed my program and fanned myself furiously I looked around to find it was only me that was feeling like I was sitting in a wool sweater in the July sun. Yep I think I was experiencing a hot flash! After a couple minutes my internal thermometer seemed to be going back to normal but I was still a bit shook up. Seriously people is 35 over the hill?
I am so bummed I really feel like I am just starting to come into my own now. I am starting to get myself now. By that I mean I am more understanding of my weaknesses and learning how to cope with them. I am embracing my strengths and try to use those to their best advantages. I even feel like I am getting better with my relationships in trying to understand them and how we can improve. Hmmmm wait a minute maybe this getting older thing isn't so bad I'm also getting...wiser?
All right I guess the fact that our bodies just don't want to stay like they were when we were 18 all fit, tone, and well smokin hot (if I do say myself) ;) is definitely a bummer. Man do I still wish I had the insane metabolism I had at that age! There are some up sides to getting older. No more midnight feedings and still having to be up the next morning to be glamorous mom, starting to get a better understanding of myself and enjoying my life quite honestly and also realizing that boring is a good thing. Why oh why did we so love the drama? I seriously don't get my younger self!
I have to say though that even though I am starting to embrace this getting older thing the whole body wearing out thing does at times scare me. Just yesterday my friend who had let me know her 34 year old husband was going in for some testing for his heart had to rushed in to have a bypass of 5 arteries! Wow it really makes you think this is the time to really love those around you and realize this life we are given is a gift and what we do with it is our responsibility.
I am looking at today as a gift and during this season of Thanksgiving I want to let each of you reading this know I am thankful for you and what you are to me in my life.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
I think I officially hit the point where I am not the youngin any more
Posted by Abby at 4:50 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Thank you for posting this Abby! You have captured the moment so well! And with a bit of humor, too.
God's blessings to you and your family!
I so hear what your saying about getting older and your body changing. I recently had a mole froze off my forehead that grew this summer, I'm noticing skin tags in new places, seems I'm always plucking weird hairs off my chin, I've recently gotten tennis elbow....there's more, but I won't keep going. Great post!
Post a Comment