I got a letter early last week letting me know that Regan would be getting a special award and I should attend their assembly at school. Well I was a little surprised when the time came and went for her teacher giving out the three awards for their class for the month. Her teacher even mouthed to me...Why are you here? Then I got even more nervous, thinking why am I here? I hope I didn't get Regan's hopes up when she saw me in the audience just to find out she is not getting an award. Thankfully it came time for the specialists to give their awards and the art teacher said she had a special award for her biggest helper this year and wanted her to know how much she appreciated her.
I didn't know that apparently Regan goes into school at the beginning of every day and helps the art teacher set out her supplies and get all the stations ready for the day. This actually doesn't surprise me as Regan LOVES art (and the young hip art teacher) but was one of those nice reminders of what a sweet heart Regan has!
I had to crack up when later in the day Regan reminded me that morning she was asking me do you think I should wear the barrette in my hair or a beret (hat). I told her I thought the barrette pinning back her hair was a better choice. She told me MOM I knew I should have worn my beret how perfect would that have been with my art award I got today?
Here is Miss Regan with her Art Award.
Regan's class has adopted the Special Needs class. Regan adores the special needs kids and when I came into the assembly she was sitting with one on either side of her. It was quite sweet to see her interact with them with kindness and you could tell she just generally enjoyed them.
If you look in the background the little girl that is a bit of a blur in the glasses came up to me right after this picture was taken. (she has Downs Syndrome) She walked up to me and said "Are you Regan's Mom?" I said "Yes I am." She said "Well it is nice to meet you, I am Regan's best friend Taylor." She shook my hand. Such a sweet girl! I smiled and said "I didn't know that it is very nice to meet you." I asked Regan about it later and she said. I do like her but if she wants to think that it is okay with me. I told Regan that I think she may have found her calling in life. I would not be surprised in the least to see Regan working as a Special Needs teacher later in life!


5 comments:
Good Job Regan!!!! It is always nice to help others and it makes you better person that everyone wants to be like you. Keep up the Good Work!
What a lovely post! Thanks for sharing!
I bet you are so proud of Regan! It takes a special type of patient person to deal with special needs. For Regan to be able to do this at such a young age is amazing. Way to go Reagan! I think the barrette in her hair looks very cute!
So, why did the teacher mouth that to you?? Weird.
Good for Regan. What a sweet girl she is, my little Ray Ray. Love that girl. I love how much her and Sam have in common as I have told you how much Sam loves the autistic kids and deals well with them so yeah, it will be interesting to see what happens to these two as they get older.
She would be an awesome special needs teacher!! Congrats on the wonderful Art award Regan!! You deserve it!!
Post a Comment