CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My first bike

Okay I am participating in the Blog write away contest over at Scribbit. I thought this month's theme was fun, as you can see from the title above.

So here is my memory of my first bike. It was my sister Mandy's birthday and my dad pulled up in his truck. He pulls out of the back of it a cool dirt bike, she was a bit of a tom boy back then. (I know for those of you that know her now that is hard to believe huh?) Mandy's eyes about came unglued she was so happy.

As I sat there watching my sister's glorious moment I know it was selfish and horrible thing to think but as a child all I could think was bummer I sure wish I had a brand new shiny bike! I sat down on our front porch and assumed the position of . . . disappointment. As I sit there glum watching my sister ride around all happy my dad came and sat next to me on the porch. He put his arm around me and said "Bet I know what you are thinking." I just looked up at him. He then said "I bet you are wishing you had a new bike huh?" I of course had to act the part and just shrugged my shoulders. My dad then got up walked over to the back of his truck and said "Well lookie here I think it's your lucky day I got another bike back here!" I am not sure my feet hit the ground from the leap off the porch to the back of his truck! He pulled out the most beautiful girly bike you could imagine with a banana seat and all. Well come on it was the 80's! It had the name Dusty Rose printed on the chain cover. That was the color of her too. All my friends then dubbed my bike Dusty Rose. I am not sure if they were making fun but I to this day like to think they were just envious of me and Dusty.

The best part was then my brother got a bike too! All three of us kids rode up and down the street until way past dark. What a glorious day that was! Definitely my favorite birthday of Mandy's!

8 comments:

Liz said...

Always happy to hear about good memories.. Love ya,

tiarastantrums said...

LOVE this - I may have to scoot over there!!

Anonymous said...

Oh I remember your bike's! Your seat was way more comfy than Mandy's!!! :O) Sorry Mandy, but it was so true!

Scribbit said...

What a dad to think of all of you like that--you have those superstar moments as a parent sometimes and they make the whole thing worthwhile.

C said...

Oh, that is such a sweet memory!

April said...

I love this story! How awesome that you guys all got gifts on Mandy's b-day!!

Chasity said...

What a great idea for gifts! Although a birthday bike was probably super great, I bet it was even better having someone to ride around with.

Mozi Esme said...

sounds like a great way to celebrate a sister's birthday as a kid!