I took Regan skating this past week on a Thursday night. Her school was having a skate party. When we got there she was a little nervous as she hadn't spotted any friends yet and was a bit rusty on her skating skills. She wanted me to come out on the floor with her. I came out and she held my hand as she tried to get her balance and her feel back for skating. At one point I said "Good grief Regan I am pulling you! You gotta actually skate here." So she let go of my hand and started to skate on her own and the next thing you know she had her feel for it she pulled away from me and headed to the center of the circle where most of the kids were congregated and found some friends. She was doing pretty good and then she stumbled and fell. She quickly looked all around trying to find me again. I skated over helped her up and then she was back on her way to her friends again. I didn't know if I should be happy for her or sad that she could so easily part ways with me.
I got to thinking this is what it is all about being a mom isn't it? We start out helping them along and pulling, carrying them ready for the day they can do it for themselves. Then before you know it they venture out and try it on their own. The next thing you know they are pulling away from us and trying to show their independence and off ditching mom for their friends. They are having a great time until they stumble and then the need for mom is back again. I guess at this point my job is to skate around in the background observing and to always be ready for the helping hand if she stumbles huh? Why was I so eager for her to let go and quit having me pull her again?


6 comments:
Great analogy.
You were done pulling her b/c she got heavy! :-)
shouting a big amen...but you know, she'll need you again when it's prom time! ha!
Great Post! Lots of thought! She still needs you for LOTS of stuff in her life, but she is starting to build her independence, too.
Yes, (heavy sigh) that is how it goes. I sometimes see this with Hunter and realize, I got to let him be a big guy.
It is always nice when they need you again...;)
What a wonderful blog :)
This was an awesome post! I'm so feeling that way with Jacob and Madison right now and can relate. It's so sad to let them go, but we are so proud of them at the same time.
Post a Comment