CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I wanna be Green really but


am I going to have to start smuggling diswashing soap from other states? In Eastern Washington areas like Spokane it is already out lawed to use Dish Washing detergents that are not "green" read this:

Phosphates — the main cleaning agent in many detergents and household cleaners — break down grease and remove stains. However, the chemicals are difficult to remove in wastewater treatment plants and often wind up in rivers and lakes, where they promote the growth of algae. And algae gobble up oxygen in the water that fish need to survive.

While traditional detergents are up to 9 percent phosphate, those sold in Spokane County can contain no more than 0.5 percent.

The Washington Lake Protection Association has launched a campaign to encourage people to give the environmentally friendly brands a fair chance. The group suggests consumers experiment with different brands or install water softeners to help the green detergents work better.


so we have heard through the grape vine this law is heading our way already. I am not too happy about this one as I read this article. I have been stocking up on Dishwashing detergent every time it goes on sale as I am scared I will not be able to find it in a couple months here in my area. The biggest complaint I have heard about this is that to REALLY get your dishes clean you need to put your dishwasher on pots and pans cycle which requires a lot more energy, water and such. This in turn may actually out weigh all the good the "green" detergent is doing!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

Hmmm, this is what happens when the state gets involved (big government) and the people no longer have a choice (small government). Which bothers me, but WA is known to be a democrat state so... yeah, I am def "green" but do it b/c its my choice. Like I said it bothers me when the state controls all of the issues. O well, good luck stocking up! :-)

tiarastantrums said...

oh now that is pushing it a bit far - outlawed?? really?

Anonymous said...

It will probably come our way too. That IS going a little too far! Good luck with that one!