CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 6, 2008

Fitting names

After reading my sister's latest entry in her blog I decided to share how my children came about the names they have.

First off is my sweet Jordan. He was almost a week old before that poor baby was named. I just couldn't decide what to name him. Boys are so HARD you want something strong and manly but also sweet like your baby you are holding. After throwing around just about every name you could imagine I was sitting there watching a Chicago Bulls game and decided the name Jordan sounded so strong and confident that it just fitted this sweet boy. (yes I foolishly thought I was being original!)Jordan's middle name is more of a famiy tradition to have some form of Jo as a middle name so his middle name is Joseph.

Seven years later our smiley Regan was born. In Christian's family there are MANY boys so I think he had just accepted the fact that the chances were we were having another boy. So we had a boy name picked out (for the life of me I can't remember what it was) and I had picked the name Alyssa Claire for a girl. Christian agreed on that up until the point when we got the sonogram results back saying it was a girl. I think the reality set in and he told me he didn't care for the name and we needed to pick a new one. So we both sat down and wrote out a list of names we liked. Regan was on both our lists so we decided that was the one. We didn't decide how to spell it until I was actually on the delivery table and decided with that spelling so as no one would nickname her Ray later on. Also I wanted a tribute to my mom who without her help I am not sure how I would have done it all those years raising Jordan so Regan's middle name is Elizabeth.

Erin was by far the toughest one for us. Since she was adopted we wanted to let her birthmom be involved in naming her. When I asked her what she had in mind when she was about 7 months pregnant she told me she thought she liked the name Reality at that point I decided to nix her help ;). When Erin was actually born 2 months later though her birthmom was able to sign the birth certificate (which we changed in court during the adoption proceedings) any name she wanted. She actually named her after her sister Amber Marie. We decided to keep the middle name to honor her request and we named her Olivia Marie. After we brought her home and tried the name out on her for about a week we just decided that the name didn't roll off the tongue that easy so we threw in Erin so her legal name is Olivia Erin Marie Meyer.

It is funny how children grow into their names. I cannot imagine any of the three being named anything other than what they are now!

2 comments:

Liz said...

Hey, I thought it was Erin FUN Meyer..:)
Of course their names are perfect for each one.
Love,
Granny

April said...

I loved reading that! it is so interesting to see how names are picked.