What do you do to give back during the season?
I love to give to Toys for Tots what a great organization that the Military started! But another of my favorite is to go into Kmart (or any store that has it up) and let me kids each pick a card off the tree that lists an item that kids in our area that are in need something they would like for Christmas. It is fun letting them find what they deem would be the perfect gift and the knowledge of knowing that without this gesture these kids would probably not have a Christmas.
When we were stationed in Alaska Jordan's youth group helped a community wide organization to do food baskets for the holidays. It was a great learning experience for him. He said it made him feel great to give and the families were all so appreciative.
Speaking of giving want to help our family give BIG this year? This website is holding a contest whoever gets the most votes wins a Wii. I would love to win this to give to our neighbors who have 9 children and are constantly coming to our house to play our Wii. They daddy is out of work right now due to health issues from a car accident. I am giddy thinking about how excited they would be to find this sitting on their porch! I would love to sneak there in the evening with this package ring the doorbell and run!
Vote for me here please! You need to vote for Abby ;)
If you hit sort by name my name jumps up to the top (its in alphabetical order)
So what is your family going to do to give back this season?
Hosted by Baby Pop and Chic Covers.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Day 5 of Christmas celebration
Posted by Abby at 8:08 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


14 comments:
I like the way you involve your children! Thank you for sharing.
I agree it is so nice to get presents for other kids from the giving tree. It is great to let them pick it out show your kids that it is good to give!
We have a Christmas party this year at work where in previous years santa has been there and given toys to the kids whose parent's work at my place of employement. This year they have decided to still have santa, but the kids will be brining unwrapped gifts to give to needy kids instead of getting toys. I think it is a great idea and can't wait to go out with Hunter and show him how much fun it can also be to pick toys out and give them to other kids. I love this time of year!!
we do quite a few things...one is operation christmas child with our church. hubs and i both lead small groups for hs students and we are doing boxes with our groups this sunday. second, we are world vision folks...so we love to give gifts of love for our fam members by buying chickens for those in need overseas. weird, but much needed. and, we try to never walk by a kettle empty handed.
I love that idea of letting the kids pick the gift! I will maybe have to try that one when my kids get a bit older.
my heart is filled with so much joy reading everyone's answer's today! Amamzing group of ladies we have over at Momdot!
I love giving! To me that is the best part of the season. I am including our elderly neighbor whose family does not include her in their celebrations. The big meanies! She is a wonderful person and deserves to have someone celebrate the holidays with her.
It's great to see how much everyone in our online community is giving. Imagine what the world would look like if everyone was so considerate.
We also do operation Christmas Child. We are also donating items at church for community wide stockings for the little kiddos in our town. Last year they said they had over 750 stockings! We always try to have $ for the kettles too and have helped with adopting a family in the Angel network. i love to teach my kids to give!
Ron and I did Angel Network last year{ An organization that gets gifts for the children of incarcerated inmates}. Don't know if we will get in on that this year, since I am out of town, but I already took several bags to our church of stuff for Operation Christmas Child. I planned to be in on the 'box packing' this year but they did that last week. There is always next year.
those are great organizations!
Love that you get the kids involved. They really seem to get a lot out of helping others.
All of these ideas are great! Here's an idea a little closer to home: a friend of mine did this for her husband and I thought I was such a great idea and fun. She did the twelve days of Christmas (for her hubby) such as two dove bars, a pear, I dont' remember all that she used but you have to be creative in doing this! I know her hubby LOVED it! Sometimes it is nice to serve those closest to us as well. Also go check out my blog and get the address for the wounded soldiers and send them a Christmas card, they really apprecitate be thought of.
I voted for you!
I like to give toys whenever I see a basket
Post a Comment