This year I have been introduced to the wonderful world of product reviews and giveaways I myself have started entering contests. I have been very lucky over this past year. I have won quite a few contests from Broadway tickets for four to a Wall-E dvd that made one little sick girl in our house very happy!
In this process I have picked up a few tips I thought I would share with you that have I believe increased my odds in winning.
1. The first tip I want to share is make yourself memorable. When you leave a comment don't just put "pick me or I want to win." Well hello who doesn't want to win? Type in something memorable such as a funny statement or rave about the product they are promoting. These raves really make the company happy which in turn makes the blogger look good! Almost every time I have put a quirky little comment or a sincere rave about the product I find that I have been chosen as the winner!
2. My second tip would be to only enter contests you really are interested in winning. If it is something you are just not all that interested in leave it. I guarantee there is someone else out there that would be thrilled to win it. This is a waste of your time and of the promoters of the contest.
3. My next tip seems like common sense but you would be surprised how often this is not done. FOLLOW the directions! Every contest has their own guidelines to enter. Make sure you read what they are. Some will say to go back to the product website and pick your favorite item while others will ask things like how many kids does the owner of this shop have? If you don't follow the directions chances are your entry will just be overlooked.
4. This tip may be the most important, leave an email address in your comment section. If the blog owner or runner of the contest has to hunt down how to get a hold of you your entry has a good chance of being skipped for one that is more easily accessible.
5. Here are some places to check out for giveaways that are listed to enter
Prizey
Mom Giveaways
Etsy Giveaways
Pay attention to giveaways or contests you read in magazines or other places. The Wall-E dvd Erin won from a coloring contest in Disney and Me magazine! I once won tickets to see Dragon Tales live. I saw the listing for it on an advertisement board at my daughter's preschool. I called the number and asked them to enter me. The next week they called back with 4 second row tickets to see Dragon Tales live!!
6. Don't get discouraged because you are not winning. You cannot win them all and every person that enters contests goes through a dry spell. Keep at it statistically you are sure to win eventually.
7. You can't win unless you play. Don't look at a contest and think (sigh) what are my chances anyway. Honestly your chances are as good as the guy that entered 5 minutes ahead of you and may be picked as a winner. I just got contacted that I won a dvd set from a company letting me know my chances were good for winning as only 3 entered! So what are you waiting for go enter!
8. Don't guilt the promoters of the contest to pick you by saying something like I come here every week and I never get picked. Trust me this is annoying and you won't get picked again by laying on guilt.
9. Do say things in your comment such as I would love to win this because Boon baby products are by far one of the most superior products out there. Thank you so much for providing us with a chic alternative for baby gear. You guys rock! Yes some brown nosing does help you win. Trust me I have the winnings to prove it. . .
10. My last tip have fun and always make sure you thank the promoters of the giveaway. I can tell you personally as a promoter of contests we LOVE to hear a happy winner!
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
10 Tips to winning prizes!
Posted by Abby at 2:12 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Very interesting read! Yes, you would be the one to know how to win the prizes....thanks for sharing!
So those comments really work? I thought it was all random picks. Like drawing a name out of a hat. Had no idea the person with the craftiest comments would win.
Interesting.
Maybe I should sign it Oprah and see what happens. ha!
Area you going to get to use those Broadway tickets?
Great post Abby!!! You have really helped us all out there and I know I love winning!!! You are awesome!!
Post a Comment