CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Dilema

So what would you have done?

Here is the what happened yesterday when I ran out to the grocery store. I was finished with my shopping, I put my cart away and as I was walking back to my car I noticed two little teeny feet swinging outside an open car door. I turned back around to get a better look and there was a 2 year old all by herself in the car with her infant brother in the back seat crying and a puppy. I looked all around hoping the mom was just returning her cart. No such luck I was the only adult in the parking lot. At this point I am angry. Who does this?

So what would you have done?

I was not sure what to do next so I told the little girl to get back in her seat and I buckled her in. I then ran inside to tell a worker in the grocery store what was happening. She called on the intercom for the owner of the car to come up front. As I was walking back out the mother came up and said is there a problem, I own that car? I looked at at her and said do you realize your two babies are in that car alone? She said yeah I was just going to be real fast. I explained to her you can't do that!!! She just seemed annoyed and went back to her shopping.

When I went back out to the parking lot the little girl was running after the puppy in the parking lot. Uggggh I knew I shouldn't have just left them myself either!! Thankfully another man had pulled up and was putting them back in the car and calling the police.

Do you think I/we over reacted? What is the right thing to do in such situations? Keeping in mind here it is always easier to decide what you would have done when you are not in the present situation. It is a lot easier to be the Monday morning quarter back.

8 comments:

Mandy said...

No. I would have stayed by the car and waited for a stranger to pull up and ask them to go talk to the store manager or whomever and then hope the stranger would call the cops. I am always leery to call the cops even though I think this is a very legit reason to call!

Abby said...

Yeah hindsight being 20/20 I really should have stayed right there.

My worst fear is that she just gets a little warning and the poor little girl gets her bottom beat by that mom for getting out of the car!

Dawn said...

OH MY! What a position to be in. And I think this is what I would have done. I would have stood by the car, then I would have had someone else go inside for the store manager or to page the parent of the car. AND I would have called the cops. But I wouldn't have leaned in to seatbelt her, these days ya never know who is going to think you're doing something wrong to a child.... When you're just trying to help.
I feel for you, and the reaction that woman gave you. I couldn't imagine leaving Mackenzie out there like that where my eyes are not on her the whole time. Plus how do you know she won't just get out and run off and get hit by a car! I have one word for people like that....BREEDERS!

Dawn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I don't know how I would have reacted. Like you said it's different when you are in the momment. The lady DOES need her kids taken away though! That's for sure! And you are probably right about the poor little girl getting a whomp from her mom later and it wasn't even her fault. poor kids!

Nicole Feliciano said...

What a nightmare. You did your best, I might have simply stayed with them.

Nana-Judy said...

I tried to write last night but the word verification thingy didn't download so it wouldn't post! GRR!
I have had experience with this type of thing, and have been invited to "butt out!" of someone's business! So be calm and careful with your approach.
As a responsible adult we MUST protect children. They don't always understand the WHY of danger to themselves and others. Do you have a cell phone? Get on it and report the situation ASAP! [or get someone who has one to make the call.] Why wouldn't you? If the childs 'adult' has done something this foolish, you have no idea of what other things transpire in that child's life. Think of the child! The 'adult' will just have to take their lumps!!

April said...

people like that don't deserve kids....I bet she would have been the same parent that would have wondered why her kids were abducted...