CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, April 26, 2008

For my cousin Terry







Terry I so wish I would have known how much you wanted to see the Ididarod! Wish you would have come to visit us while we were living in Alaska. It was a fun event that we really liked to go down and see every year. As each team went by everyone cheers and sometimes kids will yell mitten, mitten, mitten! Then the mushers will throw them one of the extra dog mittens they have for their feet. There are also people that go around handing out trading cards for each of the mushers. If you ever go you gotta try the reindeer sausage that they always have at one of the outdoor stands (like a hot dog kind of, except a lot spicier)

6 comments:

April said...

That looks like so much fun and cold! How awesome you guys got to experience that.

Abby said...

One thing about Anchorage that is nice is it is in a bowl surrounded by mountains so there isn't a lot of wind, which is what I think makes the cold unbearable. Once you are bundled up enough you are good. I have found those under armour things that wick off the sweat are great insulators! Unlike tshirts that once you get wet you are just cold.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the pictures. This is something that I have wanted to see since I was a kid. I can't remember how old I was when I first heard about it bue have wanted to experience seeing it since. I would also like to take a trip where could ride on one of the sleds.

Abby said...

Definitely think it is something you and Alexa should look into. You will need to book your hotel rooms at least 6 months to a year out though as they fill up! Remember that Eagle River is not too far away if Anchorage is too full. Also the sled rides are available but unfortunatley not free ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I saw somewhere when looking for the picture for my post that you can actually ride in one of the racers sled for the start of the race for only $7000. Or maybe it was $5000. You can see how much I paid attention to that.

Abby said...

Well if you want to ride in one of those sleds that is not in the actual ididorod it is a LOT less expensive than that. There are some cool places in that area that will give you tours on the sleds or on snow machines. (that is what they call them there instead of snowmobiles)