CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Moving tips

So one of my closest friends Karen is moving only one state away from me to the Oregon area. Yeah! She will be moving on the 26th. I am thinking of her now and the fun fun fun of traveling across country with house hold goods, kids, and dog. I thought it would be fun to share any tips you may have about making a move easier. Some of us (especially military families) feel like professional movers. Leave them in the comment section if you can think of anything to help the Lamb family make their transition any easier.

Here are my tips I can think of offhand.

1. Put all your sheets, pillow, and blankets from EVERYONES bedding into one box and write very big on it OPEN THIS BOX FIRST. That way as soon as all the beds are unpacked you can make your beds first thing. Then you can go right into unpacking everything else but when you get tired and are ready to quit for the day you will know your beds are ready and waiting for you.

2. Duct tape shut your jewelry box. This is not something you want to empty and loose everything out of. (unfortunately learned from experience)

Car Travel tips with kids

1. Make sure you have a bunch of Walmart type grocery bags. They make great trash receptacles or throw up bags. (or a place to keep oopsie wet clothes)

2. Have a set of clothes for each kid (even the oldest one) right on top handy in the luggage. (sometimes even they can get projectile vomit on them)

3. Pack 409 or some other kind of cleaner, paper towels, and upholstery cleaner for clean ups of the kind mentioned above. And yes we did use ours many times between the kids and the dog!

4. Have some regular size trash bags packed as well in case the kids need a dry place to sit after their seats have been cleaned from above such oopsies.

5. Lots of extra batteries and stored away activites and snacks that the kids DO NOT know about are great things to have on hand for those whiney moments that you need to throw something their way to make them happy.

3 comments:

Mandy said...

I don't have any tips as I have not moved that much, HA!!! Actually I think Abby has hit a lot of good one's and I know how organized Karen is so I won't give any organizational advice but I will say this... "just breathe!" It is going to be insane, stressful, and your kids are going to drive you insane (I know mine do/did during moves) but try to laugh it off. It's only stuff right! :) Good Luck Karen, you know I love ya!! And you can call and vent to me any time as I know sometimes that's what us women need to do!Hang in there, "this to shall pass..." and then you will be a family again! ;-)

Anonymous said...

Thank you guys so much for the advice!! I'll keep checking often(well as often as I can with packing left and a 3 yr old asking why and where and what ALL day long.). I think she is concerned about whether ALL of her stuff is coming with us and where she is going to sleep when we get there. She's kind of a home body. She is driving me crazy at the moment but I'm trying really hard to be patient. And if you know me Patient and Karen don't mesh well. :O) Keep sending the tips and I'm sure I'll use them!! Thanks all! Thanks for the Post Abby!!

Abby said...

I just thought of one more for you Karen. When I felt like one of my kids was having a difficult time with the move when I unpacked their new bedroom I would try to set it up exactly as they had before as to make it as easy of a transaction as I could.

Also I started taking pictures of what my china hutch looks like all set up. Othewise I have a hard time remembering they way I had it before ;)